VDA 6.3 is an in-depth process-based audit tool developed by VDA-QMC. It is applied by German automotive industry for organizations in the supply chain. VDA 6.3 was published for the first time in 1998 and was revised in 2010.
Till January 2023 we had 2016 edition in force. However, now since this month it will not be applicable anymore.
VDA 6.3 – changes comparing to the 2016 edition
- Software aspects have been taken into consideration in the questionnaire
- The content of this volume has been harmonized with further VDA methods, namely Automotive SPICE® and maturity level assurance for new parts (VDA MLA)
- Requirements with regard to purchasing activities were added to P3 and P4
- Specification of the auditor qualification
- Notes on conducting remote audits were added
- Chapter 4 (“Audit process”) was deleted, as its contents are included in ISO 19011
- Chapter 8 (“Process audit services”) was deleted from VDA Volume 6.3
- Chapter 10 (“Best practice/lessons learned”) was deleted
- The evaluation of transport and parts handling (EU7) was omitted
- In some cases, questions with special significance (*-questions) were redefined
- Some of the questions regarding the potential analysis were reallocated
- A comprehensive online glossary for all VDA volumes was established
- Editorial revision
VDA 6.3 – what stays the same
- The classification system (A, B, C) for the overall assessment
- The structure of the questionnaire
- The evaluation model for the individual questions (10-8-6-4-0)
- The applicability of process elements P2–P7 according to Figure 2-1
- The Turtle Model
- Previous downgrading rules
During the revision, the distinction between process and system audits was once again explicitly taken into account. The current IATF requirements have been observed.
For products with integrated (embedded) software, the interface between hardware and software has been strengthened. However, for a detailed evaluation of the software development, the Automotive SPICE® method should be used.
Due to the changes that have been made, the results of audits conducted according to the present volume are not directly comparable to the results of audits carried out in accordance with the previous edition from 2016.
NEW ON QUALITYWISE YOU TUBE CHANNEL IS COMING!
Together with Pedro Oliveira da Silva which you may remember from interview series with IATF 3rd party auditors here we have prepared for you a 10-episode video series:
“How to work with VDA 6.3”
And we will also discuss the changes!
So, do not forget to subscribe to Qualitywise You Tube channel here.
Hope you found the article interesting. Sign up to the newsletter for more!
Thank you for your presence.
Agata Lewkowska Ph.D.
PS. If I can help you with quality management issues, please contact me. You may also join me in my private group on Facebook: ISO 9001 & IATF 16949 QualityWise Group.
For people who want to know more:
All content on the qualitywise.pl website is a private interpretation of publicly available information. Any convergence of the described situations with people, organizations, companies is accidental. The content presented on the website qualitywise.pl does not represent the views of any companies or institutions.